Sunday, June 16, 2013

Carolyn reflects on Father's Day, having grown up without a father



Father’s Day.






A regular day, a day without significance for my older sister and me.

The ads for gifts were ignored, the search for the perfect tie unimportant, the drawing of cards meaningless.

What was there to celebrate? We had no father living in our home, nor did we even know who our father was.

Granted, we lived with our grandfather for my first 8 years, and when I was 11 my mother remarried, providing us with a stepfather. Neither man brought the significance of Father’s Day into our lives---I don’t recall my grandparents celebrating holidays except for Christmas, and my mother didn’t encourage our celebrating Father’s Day with our stepfather---with whom we didn’t have a positive relationship anyway.




http://carolyncholland.wordpress.com/2013/06/16/fathers-day-i-have-no-dad/#more-6899