This is Ligonier's friendly neighborhood blog and an attempt to recapture our lively opinionated debates in a free speech zone.

Please join our conversations. Contributors welcome.


claysh@gmail.com

Thursday, October 17, 2013

PG coverage of Foxley Farm

Defending the Nieds on Tuesday was Ligonier Borough Mayor Butch Bellas, who has conducted weddings at the venue.
"We do need the tourist dollars," he told the commission. "What Maggie and P.J. want to do will bring dollars to the valley. I think it's a good idea."
The Nieds, who also own Ligonier Country Inn on Route 30, use produce grown on the farm for the inn's restaurant and have hosted farm-to-table dinners at Foxley.
"I consider myself an agribusiness. I'm a farm. I want to stay a farm," said Ms. Nied. "My use for a wedding, out of a whole year, is less than 1 percent of the time I'm here."
But in her opinion, those relatively short periods of time pay dividends for plenty of people around Ligonier.
"I really believed that I was doing something good for the community," she said.


Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/neighborhoods-east/ligonier-working-on-provision-for-agritourism-707945/#ixzz2hzHrIA4z