This is Ligonier's friendly neighborhood blog and an attempt to recapture our lively opinionated debates in a free speech zone.

Please join our conversations. Contributors welcome.


claysh@gmail.com

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Traffic flow and hope for the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Traffic planners form thoughtful routes for motorists with purpose.  Usually, that is.  I think everyone reading this will agree that whoever designed that parking lot for Walmart in Latrobe Pennsylvania had a screw loose when they considered traffic flow behind Burger King.

What did you do the first time you intended to leave the Walmart lot using the "exit" behind Burger King and you discovered it was only an entrance?  Did you grumble and then go WAY far in another direction to comply or did you wait for no traffic and then scoot up the wrong way?

I scooted.  Call it a low risk act of civil disobedience but that single one way lane is ridiculous considering how far you must go to exit following "the rules."

The next time I approached that "exit" I was tickled to see a few cars waiting for their chance to scoot.  This was like a little movement of brave souls willing to not comply with stupidity.  How cool.

Then one day while waiting for my turn to scoot, I noticed the tracks in the dirt next to the road.  Someone in a big truck or SUV was going off road so they didn't have to wait.  WOW.

Now there's a regular dirt road there and even small cars with little old lady drivers use it.  I don't.  I still like to scoot because that little road is often muddy.  Wouldn't surprise me to show up one day and find that someone had laid down gravel. Then I would just have to use it - just because.

It gives me great pleasure to know that we live in the land of the free and somewhere inside most of us is the will to stand against authority when faced with a law or regulation that defies logic and natural human understanding. There is hope for America.