This is Ligonier's friendly neighborhood blog and an attempt to recapture our lively opinionated debates in a free speech zone.

Please join our conversations. Contributors welcome.


claysh@gmail.com

Saturday, March 8, 2014

accidental rioter!

In 1970, I was 20 years old. From my cozy efficiency apartment in Shadyside, I sat as a spectator, watching but not personally affected by all the turmoil over the Vietnam War.
In my kitchen was the anti-war poster, "War is not healthy for children and other living things." My younger brother had been drafted into the Army but went to Germany. Boys from my rural high school had been cannon fodder and some were killed, but none I knew personally. I had bell-bottomed pants, even jeans I had hand-embroidered with peace symbols and butterflies. But that was about it.


Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/Op-Ed/2009/09/20/Sunday-G-20-Forum-The-accidental-rioter/stories/200909200153#ixzz2vQmBVbHJ