This is Ligonier's friendly neighborhood blog and an attempt to recapture our lively opinionated debates in a free speech zone.

Please join our conversations. Contributors welcome.


claysh@gmail.com

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Mermaid Sculpture for Novel Art

Novel Art is a wonderful project hosted through the Ligonier Valley Library.  They give out old books that are no longer in circulation with the purpose of being transformed into art, crafts, and home decor items.  The pieces created from repurposed books are then auctioned off to raise money for improvements and upgrades to the library.  It's a creative way to involve the community and independently fundraise!

Here's the mermaid sculpture that I made for the event.  I call it, "Reading Brings Fantasy to Life".  When I think about the books I've read, they have vicariously taken me into outer space, across fantastical realms, and allowed me to see and experience things that I would otherwise not have the chance or ability to.  My siblings and I grew up poor and we didn't have much money for store-bought entertainments.  But we had a library card and that opened up the world to us!  Our imaginations were rich with wonder!  With that being said, the mermaid sculpture depicts the fantastical creature coming to life from the written word.  To read more about the sculpture and to check out the link to the article that originally appeared in the Ligonier Echo, CLICK HERE.