This is Ligonier's friendly neighborhood blog and an attempt to recapture our lively opinionated debates in a free speech zone.

Please join our conversations. Contributors welcome.


claysh@gmail.com

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Marty's mission and a promise. It all started 13 years ago today - 9/11.

When I read Obama's ignorant statement - “Now let’s make two things clear: ISIL is not Islamic,” Obama said, speaking from the state floor of the White House residence. “No religion condones the killing of innocents, and the vast majority of ISIL’s victims have been Muslim.” - it was a call to arms for me. I realized it is time for me to follow through on my promise to Marty to read this book.
Following the 9/11 attacks, Marty, who considered himself well informed on many subjects found that he truly had no idea what Islam was all about. He started a quest that ended during this, the last year of his life. Close friends know that Marty was obsessed with understanding Islam. We have every version of the Qur'an that was translated into English. Marty read every available book on the subject. We have shelves of books. I picked up the most obscure books from some of the wildest places in the Middle East at the post office. He dug and dug and read and read. He created a monumental compendium to cross reference subjects through the Qur'an and Surah. I learned much at his side, just listening but I left the study to Marty. I felt that he had a mission and someday it would be understood. As he approached death a few months ago, he told us that having read all that was available, we really only had to read one book to understand - this book. I made a promise that I would read this book and I am unwrapping it and starting today. He gave a warning that it took him several months to read this book thoroughly so don't be discouraged. I am sharing it with you, because I believe this was Marty's mission. He did the legwork. Now we have a signpost pointing the way to understanding Islam.