The globe’s changing climate will boost temperatures across the state, causing widespread economic, environmental, public health and even recreational changes, said James Shortle, professor of agricultural and environmental economics and lead author of the multidisciplinary report.“The scientific data is clear,” said Shortle. “Climate change is happening, and there will be impacts to Pennsylvania.”
''The 2015 Climate Impacts Assessment report, released Thursday, uses
new scientific findings, data and analysis to predict Pennsylvania will
be 5.4 degrees warmer in 2050 than it was in 2000. That means
Pittsburgh’s climate will be similar to that of current-day Washington,
D.C., and Philadelphia’s will resemble current-day Richmond, Va. The 198-page report updates studies done in 2009 and 2013 for the
state Department of Environmental Protection in response to a 2008
legislative directive to assess the long-range impacts of climate change
in the state. It says changes in the state’s climate will likely:
• Worsen air quality, increasing pollen concentrations, smog and asthma attacks.
• Increase insect-borne diseases such as West Nile virus and Lyme disease.
• Create more favorable conditions for agricultural pests and weeds.
• Increase storms and flooding, causing threats to safe drinking water and reliable energy supplies.
• Produce less snow, with the result that ski resorts “are not expected to remain economically viable past mid-century.”
...and it goes without saying (but I draw your attention to it, just to be clear) that fracking will only accelerate the overall local effects of climate change, adding methane toxins and all the other frackingcrap into the worsening air mentioned above. And to the water, andandand... .
...2050 is so-o-o-o-oooo far away, why should i care, they'll figure something out to make it all go away, climate change isn't real because it messes with my portfolio and/or my to-the-death allegiance to the forces of free market economics-at-any-cost (even to life itself)....
Sound familiar? This thinking will harm this country and our lives more than any threats from outside "The Homeland."